Fortune cookie wisdom: The dearest dream

This is an older blog, originally posted on my Myspace account. Do enjoy!

So I got another thinker-fortune cookie today, one that just made me grin and think (bad habit, thinking, but I can't seem to quit.) It said, simply: "Your dearest dream is coming true."

This brought an immediate, child-like grin to my face, and a flutter to my heart, because although I know that the 'fortunes' on the little scraps of paper are simply interesting, sometimes uplifting, sayings, all of which are mass produced and don't really mean anything, I still have that little kid spirit in me that wants desperately to believe in EVERYTHING. This includes that the fortunes in fortune cookies don't exist until a person picks up the cookie, at which precise moment, in the dimly lit, hard folds of sweet cookie-stuff, words of truth and wisdom magically appear on the little slip of paper, waiting to be read only by the one for whom the fortune is meant.

Before the Voice Of Reason could charge in and ruin everything, my little kid spirit leapt with joy, thinking, "Sweet! My dearest dream- the one I hold closest and wish for the mostest- is coming true! Right now! YAY! I'm so happy! Oh, this is so exciting!"

Don't laugh. You've got a little kid spirit in you, too. It's ok - I won't tell if you won't.

And a moment later Reason tried desperately to kick some sense in to me, but as I stated, I'd already started thinking. And what I was thinking was, "Ok. So what exactly IS my dearest dream?"

I hadn't the foggiest, because I have so many dreams, see. Some are altogether possible - probable, even. Others are just silly but I dream them anyway. Heres the possibilities so far:

1. I'm turning into a unicorn. Finally, after all these years, my childhood answer to that age-old question, "And what do you want to be when you grow up?" is coming about. I should start looking magenta-ish soon, with purple and blue spots spattered across my cheeks, shoulders, and soon-to-be-enormous-butt. The horn and hooves will be purple, and the mane and tail (and this part seriously appeals to the hardcore hair-dying punk in me) will be purple and blue, with a few random streaks of pink.

Ha. And my teachers always told me it couldn't happen. Guess I showed them!

2. (More reasonable) My dream guy is going to walk into the room at any moment and sweep me off my feet and we'll live happily ever after. *Looks at the door. Waits. Looks at the other door. Waits.*

Anytime, Handsome. Really.

(EDIT: At the time I originally wrote this blog, I was sorrowfully single. As it turns out, my dream guy was EXACTLY what was happening, as a few short months later I met my boyfriend, and we've been darn-near inseparable ever since.)

3. Some odd and wonderfully eccentric ancestor made up a fun and wild and eccentric and totally legally binding will, years and years and years ago, stating that their enormously hugely vastly BIG estate and mind-numbingly stupendously large fortune will go, in full, to the first daughter of the second son of the fourth son of the first child of the fifth granddaughterof the third cousin of the second daughter of their wayward youngest son (try saying that five times fast) upon that first daughter's twenty-fourth Christmas. And that'd be me. And that'd be right around now-ish.

4. (Oh, to Hell with Reason!) I'm growing wings! At any moment, my shoulder blades will start to itch, and then twitch, and then in an amazing moment of blinding light and shredding clothes (no peeking, you naughty person, you!) two big beautiful wings, fully functional, will burst from my back, stretch, fold, and settle. I don't know if they'll be feathery, or leathery, or a really spiffy combination of both, and I don't really care - I just want to fly. Hmmm. Guess I better learn how to land, eh? And stop wearing skirts...

5. (Reason wins on this one again) I'm going travelling. Where? Anywhere, everywhere, silly! To Egypt, to Germany, to Scotland and Tibet! China and Rome and Switzerland, with detours to Africa and Iceland and Russia and France. And a good long trip to Italy, then on to Spain and Brazil.

And everywhere in between. With a really nice camera (and lots of batteries.) And a good friend, or group of good friends, to going adventuring with me. And I'm leaving today. Are you ready? I sure as hell am.

So those are, so far as I can think at the moment, my dearest of dreams. I'm still not sure which is coming true right now. No pretty spots or itchy shoulderblades yet (and my butt, thankfully, has not expanded), but maybe it takes awhile to kick in. I've not gotten any calls about fortunes or vacations, but the day's still young. And the only guys to have walked through either door of the Production Department are either taken or we don't have much at all to say to each other beyond job stuff and that's how it's gonna stay, but who knows who may sneak in while I'm not looking? I'm willling to give the fortune cookie the benfit of the doubt.

Or maybe, just maybe, to mix Reason with Pure Die-Hard Romantic Sappiness, what's happening right now is that I'm alive, and if I'm alive, anything can happen, whether it's a life-long dream or something that will suprise the hell out of me, pleasantly. Or both. Because, really, anything IS possible. That's one lesson that the little kid spirit in me never lets me forget- if I can dream it i can do it. Including being a unicorn (I could be the voice of one in some animated movie, or simply photoshop my head onto a horse's body and stick a horn right smack dab in the middle of my forehead. Or someone could name a stuffed unicorn toy after me. See? Entirely possible) and having wings (I've got a nice pair of black feathery ones hung up in the corner over my bed, with fabric flowers and ribbons streaming down between them, just waiting to be added to the perfect little gothic angel outfit some night for clubbing. And well, I'm sure you've all seen at least one cheesy B-movie featuring the grafting, merging, or growing of animal body parts on humans through science or voodoo or both, right? Hey, it could happen... Open-minded, remember?)

Yeah. That's it. I'm alive, and I'm happy to be so, and in the end, isn't that really the dearest dream anyone has? Just to be happy, no matter what it is that makes them so?

So there's my dream. My dearest one. And it really is coming true. It has it's setbacks at times, and sometimes I wonder if it's lost, but it always comes back. And as long as there is a tomorrow, there's no reason (or Reason) that it cannot continue to come true, bit by bit. It's one of those dreams that has no definite beginning or end, not like deciding one day in kindergarten that you're going to be a unicorn when you grow up and having that dream end when you finally sprout a tail and horn and hooves and start craving hay and get a big butt. It's just there. It has no limits.

It's the dearest dream, and the fact that it's coming true right now, in this here and now, and in every other here and now for the rest of my life, is more appealing in itself than every other dream, no matter how comforting and pretty and wild, combined.

Take that, Voice Of Reason.

1 comment:

Max Rainey said...

Hey there, Giggle-Flying-Lizard--
this is great stuff. Keep writing. Can't tell you what a pleasure it is to read bubbly, optimistic, cheerful--cheerful, for God's sake, in this day and age--thoughts that are most definitely not just empty-headed saccharine...
You give me hope. And hope, as dear Emily said, is the thing with feathers...
I'll hold out good thoughts for you and those wings.
yours in the struggle,
Max