The triumphs of the carnal

"The work of art is born of the intelligence's refusal to reason the conrete. It marks the triumphs of the carnal."

I can't remember who said that, or of what status of import, mysticism, or controversy they may have had in history, if any. However this is, by far, my favorite quote. It is exactly how I feel about art as a way of communication more primitive and honest than words spoken or written.

I have decided to have it tattooed on my right arm, in the open space on the underside or my forearm, on a parchment scroll. The placement is specific in that it is the arm with the fish on it (which also symbolizes art to me) and so would be the most appropriate spot for it. I'd explain in greater dteail the symbolism of the fish = art, but we'd be here all day, as I'd then have to explain the snake on my left arm in relation to the fish, how they coincide, etc. I'll spare you, this time.

I had planned on the coloration of the snake being my next tattoo session, whenever that may be, but I think I'll actually get the scroll done before that. It should be less expensive than the snake-coloring, as well, so hopefully I'll be able to have it done sooner. I'll post a picture of it whenever it IS done, and in that blog go into further detail about the meanings of my arm tattoos.

Cross your fingers that I can manage to save up for the scroll relatively soon; it's been far too long since I've had any ink done, and I'm ready to start gnawing on sharpies to get my fix. Kidding. Sorta.

5 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

"The work of art is born of the intelligence's refusal to reason the con[c]rete. It marks the triumphs of the carnal."

Well, I Googled it; it's Camus, and he seems to be saying that art is what happens when we actively refuse (because, it's not presumably in our nature to do so) to look for rational, scientific explanations for our environment.

But, under this definition, shouldn't you *love* abstract expressionism? If anything, it's at least a primal reaction to one's environment.

(Or, am I reading it all wrong?)

Sketch said...

Thanks for the info- now I need to google Camus and see what he's about.

Your interpretation sounds right, but I think that's probably why I don't like abstract art. To me abstract art is born purely out of rationalizing;, only instead of trying to make clear the artist's thoughts, they instead try to cover them up, almost like they're saying "figure it out for yourself," which of course, causes the viewer to try and rationalize *that*. At least, that's my take on it.

Some other forms of art spring from rationalizing as well, but not all. What I'm trying to get at with my post is that it's the act of *creating* art that's so primitive- it's an urge to react to what's around you on a level where conscious thougth doesn't exist, just what you feel. By that I don't mean that the art created says"this is what I feel," flat-out; rather it speaks more on the level of one's dreams, giving images that symbolize ideals, fears, goals, troubles and joys that the dreamer, or in this case, artist,or viewer, may not consciously understand, and it doesn't ask to be rationalized, just observed. In that way it recreates a need to "feel" rather than try to figure something out, although I must admit it can be fun sometimes to try to figure out what an artist was going through when they created certain pieces.

Am I making any sense at all? Sorry if this sounds disjointed, but it's sort of like art itself- I could draw it better than I could say it. :)

Now, I'm off to google Camus!

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

"Am I making any sense at all?"

You're making perfect sense, and you articulated that complex thought extremely well.In my recent post on Pollock, I was kind of purposely being obnoxious just to get a rise out of people. But, I was also being serious on some level; I purposely juxtposed Pollock's 1948 abstract piece with Wyeth's outstanding work from the same year, Christina's World -- which, to me, inspires that need to feel.

Wren said...

Holygods, you're smart. Are we even related? Fabulous post and comment, m'love! :o)

Sketch said...

Wow, thank you both. I feel all, you know... smart, n' stuff. :)