Like father, like son

Ok, say it with me, folks: "D'aawwwwwwwwwwww!" Here's what wer'e "awww"-ing about:

I have been endlessly amused since we first started dating that Matt (the boy) loves Star Wars. And I don't mean he just really enjoys the movies; I mean we have one whole wall in our bedroom devoted entirely to Star Wars posters, magazine covers, bags, and various collectibles (inlcuding still-boxed action figures and Pez-dispensers). And that's just the stuff that can be tacked to a wall; the rest of his Star Wars stuff is in a box until we can get a bigger place for proper displaying purposes (groan). Also, he likes Spongebob Squarepants - who still kinda gives me the heebie-jeebies, although I must admit that I have been finding myself enjoying the cartoons on Saturdays more and more. Matt has Spongebob stuff too, just not nearly as much of it (thankfully; a wall of Star Wars I can grin at. A wall of Spongebob would be creepy.)

Phoenix came over on Wednesday evening and has been here ever since. Turns out he's crazy about Star Wars, too. And likes Spongebob. In fact, like his father he has a bunch of Star Wars stuff at home, only it consists of legos, action figures (unboxed, I'm sure) and video games. For his birthday he had asked for the Lego Star Wars Playstation 2 game, so we got it for him. As he unwrapped it, he began chanting, "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!"

He spent the rest of the evening playing the game of course. And while at first it was just Phoenix playing, I came out to the living room a few hours later (I had been doing school stuff) to find both Matt and Phoenix plopped on the couch and leaning forward eagerly, controllers in hand, huge grins on their faces as they blasted and jumped and used The Force and unlocked characters and argued goodnaturedly about which character would be best for which scenario, chapter and level. And then there was the pod race and the crashes that ensued, and the giggles and hollers and yips of glee (and exlposions, of course, from the game- mustn't forget those wonderful explosions).

I think I may have to get the game for Matt for Christmas, if not sooner. He was just as hooked on it as Phoenix.

So far, I think Phoenix likes me. He regales me with Star Wars trivia (which I just nod and smile at, because although I very much enjoyed the movies, that's about as far as my knowledge of it all goes) and yesterday played catch with a nerf fooball with me before and while swimming in the apartment complex's pool. He's a cute kid, and not at all bratty and noisy and rude and out of control, as most nine-year-olds in this typical hick-town seem to be.

He and Matt get along famously, of course.

But no worries, Mama Wren - I haven't decided to drop out of school and have kids. Phoenix is great - really great - but I'm both level-headed enough to know that even if I wanted any right now we can't afford kids, and I'm still just not sold on 'em, or even all that terribly interested. I am charmed, though, and learning to accept that not all kids are horrid screaming little monsters that need military school by age five (as most five-year-olds around here seem to). That may get me thinking in a few years, but for now you're safe from the title of Gramma. ;)

The plan was to take Phoenix back down the hill to Matt's parents' house this morning so Matt could work and I could do school stuff, but a fmaily emergency changed that. Matt's dad went into the hospital two nights ago for Appendicitis (sp?) and although he's recovering alright (had a fever yesterday and this morning to contend with, but that's gone and he is otherwise fine) he's still in the hospital and will be until tomorrow. So, Matt took today off and Phoenix is still here. We just came back from breakfast at The Waffle Shop in town a little while ago, and as I write this the two of them are once again playing Lego Star Wars (I can tell by the explosions). I'll be doing one of my two last assignments for this term after this post, and getting started on the other, then the rest of the day will be spent with Matt and Phoenix. Which will probably include swimming again, watching a comic-book movie or two, and Star Wars.

Sounds good to me.

We'll take Phoenix back to Matt's parent's tonight, then pick him up agian either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Matt and I have a week off, starting Wednesday, so Phoenix will then stay with us the rest of his time here and we'll take him home (several hours North of here), then spend a few days there in Matt's highschool hometown visitng friends and touristing. Might swing over to San Francisco on our way back here, stop at Ghirrardeli's Square for chocolate, and then spend tha last day or two of our vacation just resting at home.

I need that. Getting away for a while, then just being flat-out lazy for a bit (and eating chocolate). I will sleep in. And take naps. And lay around reading, and drawing. And, of course, kicking much demon-butt in Sacred (love that game).

And now, I suppose I should go ahead and get started on that assignment. Should be no problem; it's the super-easy ethics class and it's just a short three to four paragraph discussion board post. The other assignment is a report, and though that class is more challenging it will go quickly enough too, once I get the discussion board post out of the way. I'm doing great in both classes. All A's in the ethics class, all A's except for one B and one C in the other. So, an A average one class, B+ in the other (which may very well raise to A if I get an A on the assignment I turned in last night and this last one).

I believe I said "Dean's list, here I come?" Yeah. Here I am.

Grin.

1 comment:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Regardless of what game you play, there's something totally hypnotic about the PS2. I almost bought one a year or two back, btu a friend cautioned me against it. He said it's be countless hours of my life that I'd never get back. So, I reluctantly didn't get one. Still, anytime my wife wants to go to the Target, I enthusiastically ask to tag along. They have a demo unit there, and I'm getting pretty damn good at the off-road truck racing game.