The art of interpretation

Virus Dais

Just because I'm feeling sorta artsy-fartsy, here's a sample of my computer artwork. This began as a sketch of my boyfriend (see the sketchy-scratchiness of the edges of the creature? That's pencil.) Obviously, it ended up as something completely different.

I call it Virus Dais; the creature is a sort of malignance, a tumor of destruction on a pedestal of self-importance. It symbolizes, in short, the darkness of the human psyche and how one can come to love it's effect without realizing it, becoming what is socially referred to as either a "Drama Queen" or "Sefl-Made Victim," or any myriad of other issues with self-worth - either the inflation of it or what is seen as the lack of it.

At the time that I created this I had a few drama queens and victims in my life, and was -though I didn't want to admit it then - tired of the bullshit. And so Virus Dais was born. I'm curious to know your interpretations of the other symbols in the picture - the skull, the lotuses, the wing - just because I love the human desire to interpret archetypes to make them fit their own lives or systems of belief. I could tell you what they mean to me, but really that's not what matters. What matters in the end is what the viewer feels, so please tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Okay, I'll take a shot at this, though keep in mind I don't know what in the HELL I'm talking about. -- just "talkin' out my ass,' as my wife would say. But, FWIW...

I'm sure your boyfriend is glad you elaborated, because he may not want to be described (especially by you) as "a tumor of destruction on a pedestal of self-importance."

I think your mentioning of the "victim" resonates with me most, or perhaps a sort of related notion of helplessness. Besides the symbols present, there are other symbols NOT present that are just as important -- the lack of eyes, or even eye sockets on the creature, for example. And, yet, one can't help but feel that the creature senses its own lack of humanity (represented by the skull) -- thus, ironiclly, bestowing it with a bit of humanity.

The teeth, I see as a critique of the viewer, reinforcing the repulsion one might feel toward such a being and asking us to feel self-disgusted about our cold refusal to feel responsibility.

I don't know what to make about the lotus blossom or the wing. Each seems to imply a kind of hope to me, but of what I'm unsure.

Sketch said...

I had every intention yesterday of coming up with some wonderful, intelligent-sounding response to your interpretations, but, well ... I just wasn't feeling terribly intelligent at the time. I'll blame it on the editor here at work. His mindboggling lack of both basic intelligence and any social grace whatsoever never ceases to leave me quietly fuming and/or confused as to just how it's possible that he can make so many simple things so very difficult. Or both, like yesterday, which left me staring at the words you wrote and not quiet able to put them together as more than just words.

So, let me try it now, and forgive me the rambling; it's early.

Yes, the boy was glad I made the distinction between the riginal sketch and the final outcome. He grinned.

Victims seem to be a hot topic as of late. The same day I posted this originally, I read two other blogs of the same subject, and have heard much around the workplace of other "oh poor me" types that are grating on peoples' nerves. I think the reason these people annoy so many people is because they are very much like some virus - they sneak in and get under your skin and slowly fester, dragging you down. Before finally walking away, a feeling of helplessness can very easily take over as you wonder what more you can do for these people.

Now honestly, the lack of eyes I never really noticed, if you can belive it. I mean I knew on the most basic level, but never really thought anything of it consciously, perhaps because I was more focused on those teeth. And another admission is that I myself never really saw much to the teeth beyond another part of the self-importance thing; that those who think so highly (or lowly) of themselves cannot hear what others say to or about them, because they themselves are always screaming in one way or another, "Look at me! Pay attention to me!" So the teeth here are more important (to me) than eyes or ears.

The skull representing humanity, or humanty lost, is cool, and fits very well with the overall idea.

All in all, I enjoyed your interpretations- good job! Perhaps the lotus blossoms and wing will sneak up on you later. A hint: for the lotuses, check them out as they relate to some parts of Buddhism. For the wings, check out dream archetypes and the psychology of archetypes in general.

It's some cool shit, man ...