Considering expensive peices of paper

I'm considering - kinda, sorta maybe considering - going back to college to get a Bachelor's in Art History. This would inevitably lead to a Master's, so really I should say I'm considering going back to college for a Master's degree.

Maybe.

But, here's the thing: I can't afford to go full-time, and so - if I decide to do it - I want to take online evening classes. Which I've never done, and so have no clue really of what that entails. And I don't have a computer except the one here at work which, well ... let's just say I take a particular dark glee from imagining all the ways I could destroy it. It's just that old, that out of date, and that crappy. And well, it's at work; the thought of staying here after work is over just to use the computer makes me cringe.

But.

But, I really - really - enjoyed the art history class I took in college several years ago to get my A.A. in Graphic Design. Graphic Design can take a flying leap for all I care, but that class was really fun, and I've always loved looking through books of art throughout history, books on famous dead artists, etc. It has fascinated me since childhood. Mama Wren can attest to this, as she's an artist herself and so had many, many art books which, in my youth, I could flip through for hours, entranced. Museums fascinate me as well; it always feels like walking through time, or the attic of someone long gone, seeking and finding treasures at each turn. (Thanks for that, Mom.)

In short, even if the subject plays no valid working part in future careers and all that future employers care about is the fact that I have a peice of paper with my name on it along with the title of Bachelor or Master, I would enjoy it just for me. I've been going back and forth over the last few years as to whether or not to go back to college, and I think the reason I've been largely against it is that I couldn't see the point, as - unless I find some dark niche in the society of those who collect controversial artwork - I couldn't imagine my artwork really paying off enough to make it my day job, and any subject other than art doesn't really interest me as a profession.

I've known for some time, however, that a higher degree or degrees would be very beneficial, and having seen my own boss rejected on so many good jobs despite his knowledge, skill and experience really hit home. The only reason he's still working here is because he, like me, only has an Associate's degree, which is just not enough these days. I don't want to work here forever. Hell, I don't even want to work here another five years, but unless I either get another piece of paper to prove my intelligence or get an apprenticeship at a tattoo parlor, this is where I'll be twenty years from now, and that thought is really depressing.

... Well hell, I think I've convinced myself. Maybe.

But I still need a computer for it. Mom- think Grandma would get one for me with my trust fund? It's for college, which should make it an automatic yes since that's what the trust was set up for, but she really doesn't make it easy to ask. She makes me feel like I'm asking some grave and terrible thing, and I jus don't like feeling that way. But she listens to you. Well, she listens to anyone other than me, really, even if they say exactly what I do. Maybe you could put a bug in her ear on the trip to D.C.?

*sigh*

So, if I really get serious about this and if I can get a computer for it, the next step would be finding a school to suit my desires. I have no idea where to even start on finding a college that has a great art history program. Anyone have any ideas? Heard of any fantastic schools that are notorious for turning out sharp art historians?

Any leads would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Princess Banter said...

I actually think about matters like that every single day -- like, should I do the incredibly unimaginative and take an MBA just like everyone else, or could I go back to school and take up writing? Unfortunately, all kinds of pressure surrounds me -- spell: family -- that makes me feel horrible for taking up something that will prove utterly nonsensical and almost useless. And I sometimes despise them for that... and myself equally for letting them affect me. But you! You should go for it! If you can afford it, if you enjoy it, if you're entering the situation with wide eyes open (that the degree may not be totally useful for you)... then go for it! You have nothing to lose but a few thousand dollars, right? :) I hope you go for it -- and indulge me by living vicariously through you :)

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Yes, definitely go for it!

I have no suggestions for schools, though. But, I'm sure you can use the Internet to research it & find a great program close by.

blogsurfer said...

Going back to school is one great decision, and it really needs a lot of hardwork, patience and perseverance to finish schooling. You have to study very hard and take time on every subject that you're studying. And schooling needs also a lot of money to suuport all the things you needed in school like some expensive books and other materials that you need. You can have a part-time job that can help you a lot.