Wow. Just ... wow.

For the last two weeks or so, I've been dealing with college stuff (hence the lack of [meaningful] posts), much of it in regards to financial aid. Today I recieved the news that I am approved for a federal Stafford loan, which over the course of both school years will cover most of the cost of my schooling, leaving me with a bill of about $7,000 left over to come up with myself. Cool, thought I, who had no idea really how much aid - if any - I'd be eligible for.

Well. That was before I talked to my grandmother about half an hour ago (we were at he bank, for college stuff) about just how much money is in the college fund that she and my grandfather set up for me when I was born. A the moment, I'm a little bit shell shocked, but in a good way. I don't need that stafford loan. I won't say how much is in the account they set up, but suffice it to say it will cover damn near the same amount the stafford loan would, only, you know ... without interest. And without the next ten years of my life being aimed solely toward paying off that huge loan, plus interest. Now, I have only to get a much smaller loan for the leftover amount, which I could probably get from my bank for a smaller interest rate than any student loan out there.

My near-future views just went from rather intimidating to, well ... if it were possible to walk on clouds, or sunshine, baby I'd be fucking frolicking. This is such a huge relief for me, truly.

Now I've always known about the account my grandparents set up for me, but had no idea until about half an hour ago just how much was in it. When Imentioned how much tuition for CTU is, Grandma was understandably shocked. It is pretty damned expensive, although for an online college, with tuition that literally covers everything I'll need, it's actually pretty damn good. She said that the account "didn't have quite that much in it," which I had assumed was the case before I even applied, but with the emphasis she placed on the word "quite," I figurd that if I was lucky the account would have enough to cover at least half of it. Maybe.

Boy, was I off.

Not quite, indeed. Although the amount leftover is still something I'll need a loan for, that college account will pay for most of my college costs. Like, most of it, if you get the emphasis there. I think I'm still a little too shocked to be outright giddy, but I am certainly very very very very happy. Very.

Very. (Ok I'll stop that now. You get the point.)

Thank goodness, or God, or Goddess, or Buddha, Alah, Ra, Thor or The Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster
(may he bless you with his noodley goodness), or whoever for grandparents who know the value of education. Thank (whoever) for grandparents who, when a grandchild is born, set up a college account for them to be slowly added to as that child grows, until the day they're ready for college.

They already paid every red penny for my first round of college when I got my AA in Graphic Design, and as they paid so much there, I thought there wouldn't be a whole lot left over for getting my BS now.

Boy, was I wrong. And I have never been happier to be so very wrong.

Ah fuck it - I'm thrilled! (Have I mentioned how happy I am?)

Wow. That's what keeps running through my head. Just ... wow.

In the hopes that you all enjoy such good fortune as I'm finding myself, may The Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster touch you with His Noodly Appendage and bathe you in His Sauce forever, RAmen.

4 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

That's awesome!
-PH

FATSO said...

Good for you!!!!!

My daughter is off to a major US art school in the fall. I put money aside for 18 years and thought it would be PLENTY.

Well, it would have been had she gone to a Canadian school.

Alas, it's gonna be a VERY expensive 4 years, but one that I would never deprive her of (sorry for the preposition at the end of the sentence...)

Good for you, your awesome grandparents and your good fortune of having them!

Sketch said...

Patrick - Yes, this is VERY freaking awesome! I'm going to go ahead and take out the loan anyway, and keep the funds from granma in the account so taht it will keep building, and then use it to pay off most of that loan all at once when it comes time to. I don;t know what the interest rate on the fund is, but in 15 months it will be VERY close t the full amount if the loan, and since I'll be paying the interest on the loan month by month, I won't have to worry about the payback at the end being much larger than the initial loan itself.

Fatso- Good for YOU! Good for your daughter!r What school is she going to? There are several art schools I was very interested in myself when I was still considering a major in Art History. Rest assured the expense will be well worth the experience and education she gets, because from graduation on she'll have a much better shot at a great career. :)

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

The dragon is laughing!