Despairing for the human brain

It's amazing how simple it is to think. You just ... do it. Now, the effectiveness of thought is constantly affected by things such as caffiene or the lack there of, too little sleep, cell phones when used in vehicles, etc. However, the act of thinking is easy.

No, really — it is.

I only bring this up because for the last couple of years, I have become increasingly concerned about the seeming lack of thinking ability displayed by more and more people with each passing day. And no, I'm not exaggerating; it literally seems that just about every day someone, somewhere (usually here at work) says or does something even stupider than the previous day's "Amazingly Stupid Moment."

As an example I'll give you the run down on what just happened about half an hour ago. While this particular event is not all that terribly stupid, it shows you the minimum level of stupidity where I work, which is really the worst I have the patience to dwell on at the moment. Maybe after I've cooled off for a few years about it, I'll tell you about yesterday's stupidity. Mom- it involved the individual that you and I so fondly refer to as "Dipshit." 'Nuff said.

Half an hour ago:

Miss M walks into the production department and asks who is working on page A-3, as she has read the proof and has the usual corrections. I respond as I walk toward the printer to pick up pages A6, 7 and 8, "Sarah has it."

Miss M looks at Sarah's desk, which is empty because Sarah is outside on a smoke break, and after no more than one-trillionth of a second has passed since the realization that Sarah is not at her desk asks, "Is she here?"


Of course I didn't say what I wanted to. I was nice, cheerful even, when I answered with a simple "yes." What I wanted to say was:

"No. Sarah's not here. I just want you to put page A-3 on her desk so that David and I can ignore it, and not do those corrections. Hell, maybe we won't even finish it and send it to the printing press because we hate page A-3 with unreasonable passion. And then, tomorrow, no one will have a page A-3 in their newspaper because it will still be sitting on Sarah's desk because she's not here, but we like to fuck with people because we just suck like that, so we led you to believe she was."

Christ. It really doesn't take much effort at all to think, really. And really, there's a reason we often hear the phrase "think before you speak." People do take breaks here, and on a regular basis. Just because someone isn't at their desk doesn't mean they're not at work, especially if those of us who are at our desks just told you something that would, to an intelligent person, imply that the person in question is in fact at work that day.

And, this is the least of the stupidity I have to deal with every day. Everything else is worse.

I give up. Just drop me on my head a few times so I end up as stupid as so many others here, so I just won't care anymore. I won't be smart enough to know that the human race, instead of evovling into an all-powerful, advanced species capable of ruling the planet, is in actuality de-evolving into something entirely new: the Greater Drool-lipped Dipshit. (I hear they like shiny things ...)

4 comments:

Wren said...

On the other hand, you cat is pretty smart.

Wren said...

Your. Cat, I mean. (rolls eyes)

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

"Just because someone isn't at their desk doesn't mean they're not at work..."

Also, just because they are at their desk doesn't mean they're working. Take me, for example. I'm sitting at work, but reading your blog.

I'm with you, though. People are idiots. Some people don't like it when you make that proclamation, though. I've been "corrected" before on this. Of course, that person was an idiot, too, so I didn't listen.

Sketch said...

Mum - Cats are the true ruling species on Earth. They just let us think we're the rulers because they think it's cute when we nuke each other when we don't get our way. ;)

Patrick - Too true. A good 50% of my day at work, if not more, is spent doing non-work related things, usually involving the internet (I'm not allowed to read books at my desk, but I can read blogs and message boards all I want ...)

I usually try to keep my opinion of people's intelligence away from them directly, hence the blogging. However, my immediate co-workers (Sarah and David) are entertained daily by my estimations of people's lack of brain power. Sarah usually ends up in fits of giggles during the last hour before deadline. I'll be working away silently, intently, and then all of a sudden blurt out something like, "Oh my god! How they thought this was going to fit is beyond me! There's twenty-three inches of over run, and they thought it wouldn't jump at all!"

Usually, my random outbursts involve lots of four-letter words, however, which I think is what actually amuses S & D so much, since aside from these outbursts I'm usually pretty calm and hard to ruffle, and during regular conversation with them if I must cuss, I do so quietly.

Everyone needs some comic relief, I guess ...