Random contemplations

I've pretty much decided to go back to the accelerated schedule at school, two classes per term as originally set, to graduate in a more timely manner. You know, like a rat - leave the sinking ship of my job as soon as possible, and all that. But what I wonder about is, should I then turn around and dive right into my Master's? Like any other break between terms, I'd only have one week off between graduating from the Bachelor's program and beginning the Master's. One week. I'd like to take a couple months off, but the sooner I start it, the sooner I'll have my Master's degree. Thoughts?

I love my hair color now - the black with the bleach-blonde patch of bangs and top - but I wonder if it would fit into the professional business world. I'm finally letting it all grow, and that means continuing to dye it black and bleach it blonde every four to six weeks, but is the effort worth it? Or will I end up just going with one uniform color once I have that degree and start applying for a better job? Should I enjoy it while it lasts, or try to blacken some of the blonde for a more conservatively-punkish look?

Speaking of toning things down for the "Professional World," I need to find a way to hide the inch and a half or so of snake tongue that peeks out below the wrist and actually onto my hand. It can't be covered with long sleeves. The rest of my tattoos can be easily hidden if I so choose, but not that little bit. So my options are this:

1. Laser tattoo removal, which is expensive. If I don't have the money to get more tattoos, where am I gonna find the money to un-get them?

2. Movie make-up; the kind they use to cover an actor or actresses real tattoos for characters that don't have any. I'd have no idea where to find it, but I'm sure a quick google search would turn up something useful. But, then I'd have to worry about remembering to put the makeup on my hand every morning. What if I forgot one day, and no one wanted to belive it was just Sharpie because I got bored? What if an uber-conservative higher-up told me to wash the "Sharpie" off and stop being silly?

3. Creative fashion: I could bring back the good ol' Reniassance days of thick frothy lace at cuffs and throat, which would cover it nicely. I think it would be smashing coupled with a nice suit-jacket, but I can just imagine how it might get in the way of typing.

And using the restroom.

4. Band-aid/Ace Bandage/wrist glove. This would only work temporarily, unless I went with the band-aids and pretended I had some sort of open wound on my hand that just never happened to heal. A little fake blood/pus/tentacles and no one would be rude enough to say anything, probably. Of course, then I wouldn't be invited out for coffee either, but I'm ok with that. I'm really not much of a people person, friendly though I may be.

School and generally just being an adult with bills is forcing me to accept the fact that I may never become a tattoo artist. It was my dream for a long time, and I still enjoy entertaining thoughts of it, but it's not likely to happen with the path my life is taking. Becoming a tattoo artist (a respected and properly-educated one, any way) requires an apprenticeship. That requires money. I don't have money, so I'm going to college to get money. But once I'm done with college and have a job that pays me enough for an apprenticeship, that job will probably pay more than being a tattoo artist, and while I'd love to follow my heart, it's funny how monthly bills, food and gas just don't agree with that particular ideal. Besides, then I'd have one - no, two - degrees in business which would be going to waste because if I'm gonna be doing artsy stuff all day, every day, I want nothing whatsoever to do with the business side of it. The two do not mix. And well, $50,000 is a fuck of a lot of money to waste on two pieces of paper, no matter how nice the frames. So I'll stick to being the poke-ee rather than the poke-er, most likely, and that makes me more than a little frustrated, but it's not like I can't draw on other things. Like, paper.

I've decided that "When dragons laugh, life is good," is great, but doesn't really fit well for this blog. I mean, it's cute and all, kinda-sorta-in-a-way-philosophical, but not really accurate to the feel of most of my posts. It promises funny posts, and much as I'd like to, I just don't do funny very often. So, I'm contemplating a new name (and consequent banner), and I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to keep dragons in it somehow, but give it a more down-to-earth feel, like "I'm just your average, humble, know-it-all, angst-ridden, easily amused, allergy-striken, and generally over-friendly person." Something artsy, maybe. Or bookish. Or just plain odd but fun. Really; help me out here.

I need to get into the habit of dressing better. But, that costs money, because that means new clothes. Like, businessy-type clothes. And I don't have money, which is why I'm going to college: to get a better job that will give me more money, so I can buy things like newer, nicer, more "take me seriously because I'm smart, damnit," clothes. Only, that job will require that I already have those clothes. I can get them before I graduate and get that job, but it will be a slow process and I want to get used to wearing such things so that I'm more comfortable in them when it comes time to be a "real adult." Which means, I kinda need them soon-ish. Like, now would be great. Alas.

I want a pen pal. A good old fashioned, handwritten on nice paper, talking about life rather than "Hey s'up, biatch?", pen pal. Of course, I'd probably never have time to write back, so it would be a riduculously short-lived experience, but it has an irrestistable appeal, like frothy lace and bad romance novels.

I want a Jeep. 'Nuff said. It's Matt's fault.

And finally, I want comments, damnit. I ask - no, I demand - that you post a comment to this blog. Even if I don't know you. Even you don't care, or have nothing to say beyond "I'm commenting. So there."

... Please? It would make my day, because I'm just sappy like that.

5 comments:

Wren said...

When you were a wee thing, you said "I was so wooweed!" I can't remember now what you were worried about, but wooweed you were then and seem to be now.

About the Masters -- how about waiting to make the decision as to whether to take a break between degrees until you get closer to the time it will actually happen? You may be tired out by then, or perhaps energized and chomping at the bit to get on with it. Wait and see.

I don't think you'll need to worry about the snake tongue on your wrist. Once you've got a job that pays you better, you can work on saving the money to get it removed, or simply leave it there. After all, it's part of the much larger tat, which you'll have anyway. Do you plan to live in long sleeves always? This is one of the things your mother worried about when you got the tattoos on your forearms. I've decided not to worry about it any more, and I think you shouldn't either.

Shall I resume getting you drawing pads, pens, ink and paints for Christmas?

How about incorporating the word "sketch" into the name of your blog? "Sketchdragon," maybe. Hmmm.

Don't worry.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go along a stream of thought Mama Wren's comment made me go on. The title should be "Sketching the Dragon." Why, might you ask, oh so inquisitively? It's simple. Each little blog you make is a line in a portrait of who you are. With every new blog, there's a new line and a new line and so on and so forth until you have a very full portrait of who you are, no matter how meaningless you think an individual blog is. Deep, huh? Well, this is coming from the same guy who wants to invent a yo-yo with a 5,000 foot string. Hey, it'd be useful when you went to the Grand Canyon! *laughs* Love ya, sis! *huggle*

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

1. What's the Masters degree? MBA?

2. When you enter the job market, make it all one natural-looking color. At least at first. After you get hired somewhere, you'll get a feel for what's okay and what's not.

3. Wouldn't you hate to remove the tats? Would large bracelets cover them? That's toughie...

4. Funny how it works like that. The money is nice, but unless you stay creative somehow, you'll always feel that golden handcuff of a decent salary.

5. Sounds like you need a fashion mentor. Find a friend -- another female or possibly a gay guy -- you age who is already in the corporate world.

6. What is this "pen" thing of which you speak? I know only of computer keyboards.

7. Ummm, good luck. Aren't Jeeps like really pricey?

8. Here's your comments!!!

Natalie Ford said...

"Your average, humble, know-it-all, angst-ridden, easily amused, allergy-striken, and generally over-friendly Dragon."

...works as a subtitle, at least! ;-p

If you'd like me to send you a postcard/letter, just let me know your snail address...

natalie AT natalieford DOT com

Sketch said...

Mom- you rock. I'm always woowying; it just usually isn't so distracting.

Drake- I like that: Sketching The Dragon. It's got a good feel. I might go with something along those lines, like writing and drawing being a way of releasing whatever- anger, happiness, funks, random thoughts that jus won't go away. Maybe.

Patrick -

1. Masters in Business administration, concentration in either marketing or management (probably manage,ent, since I'm getting the Bachelor's in marketing.)

2. Good idea. That's sor of how it happened here; I looked relatively harmless when I started, and now my co-workers place bets on what color my hair will be next week.

3. It would suck to have to remove it, yes, but it wouldn't be that bad It's only part of that particular tattoo, not the whole thing, and relaly it's not taht important a part. Snakes don't always have their tongues out, so it wouldn't ruin it. I would rather find a more temporary cover for it, however, rather than removing it. Just for the sake of the original design.

4. I'm learnign that more and more. However I'm also learnign more and more that if one could find a way to keep doing the creative stuff, the creative stuff itself could bring in money. Last week I cashed my first official freelance graphic design paycheck - $90 for a coupon design for a children and maternity consignment store.

5. None of my friends are in the corporate world (yet) but there are plenty of places to find corporate fashion advice; magazines, internet, etc. I just gotta do it.

6. Heh, heh. And that's why I want apen-pal. Now more than ever, it's become a thing of athe past, and so holds a sort of sentimentality.

7. Unfortunately, yes. I'll get one when I get that fantastic job with the Master's degree. Till then I'll just dream.

8. Thank you!

Natalie- That would work well as a subtitle. :) Check your email soonish.