Ugh.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is my mental reaction to a certain seriously hygiene-challenged reporter at my work. I've blogged about her before and the story, I'm sad to say, has not gotten any better. It's gotten steadily worse, to the point that whenever she walks into the room and I see her, I mentally do that jerk-back-and-shudder thing that cats do when they see or smell something awful. I usually look away as quickly as possible, try to stop an actual shudder, and hope to hell she doesn't have any pages for me. I feel bad about it simply because my reaction to her is so bad; I feel like I'm being mean. But I'm not. She really, truly is that bad. The stench is unbearable, her social skilss are null, she definately lacks some mental something that everyone else has that makes them ... intelligent? Aware? Not-oblivious to the basic necessities of a toothbrush, soap, and the use of kleenex?

And I hate to add ugly to it, because that really sounds petty, but good gods I've never seen anyone so ugly. Most people, if not terribly attractive or even if they have some anatomic oddity, can be gotten used to over time; the brain stops seeing horror and instead just sees Joe or Jane. Not this woman. People make jokes about people who are so ugly that they really should wear paper bags over their heads; I'm not joking, and I'm not trying to be mean. She really, really is god-awfully ugly. That combined with everything else makes me want to disappear when she's around, and I hate myself for that but I can't change it.

She flat-out, in a way that no one and nothing else in the entirety of existense does, sickens me.

Today she walked back to the production department and stood at my boss' desk for a few minutes (I'm assuming she had handed him a page or two with corrections to be made) and when she left, she left a bit of herself effluence behind. My boss looked up after she'd finally left and said to me that she really stinks today, and the look on his face was enough to make me even more thankful tha she hadn't come to me. Now, understand something: my boss is one of those very laid-back, don't-make-waves, easy-going people who rarely ever complain, no matter how bad something gets. The kind of person who, if you hear them cuss, you know the shit has hit the fan and you run for cover if you're smart, because they never cuss. The fact that he mad emention of her stench means it's gotten much much worse than when last I had the horror of smelling her.

I suggested that maybe we should finally say something to the managing editor about her, and he actually agreed that it woudl be a good idea. The realization that not only was her stench enough to make him - one of the hardest-to-shake people I know - cringe and mention it, but that he is considering finally bringing it to the attention of her boss has me quite honestly queasy. I don't want to know what she smells like today, if it's that atrocious.

A good fifteen minutes after she left the room, he could still smell the stench that envelops her.

This is beyond disgusting. It's beyond sick. It's beyond atrocious.

This has to end.

3 comments:

Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Hard to imagine it getting grosser after your previous rant!

BTW, did you draw that kitty?

Wren said...

You bet your sweet bippy she drew that kitty. That's m'girl!

This poor stinky woman ... what a terrible shame for her. She must live a bewildering and demoralizing existence, since everyone she encounters shrinks away from her for so many reasons. Sounds like bringing the issue up with her boss is the right thing to do, for her as well as for the people she's leaving gasping for air after she walks away. Perhaps if shes made aware of herself, she can do something about it.

However, as I recall, her boss sometimes suffers from BO and a definite lack of social graces himself. Good thing you're going for that Bachelors so you can get the heck outa there.

P.S. I have lavender oil. A drop on a hankie, held under the nose, might mitigate the lingering stench. They used to do this in the olden days before deoderant. I'll share.

Sketch said...

Patrick- I didn't think it could get any worse, either, but now we can smell her from a yard or more away. Before she had to be in close proximity.

And yup, I drew the kitty :)

Mom- Yes, saying something may well be helpful for her as well as us, or at least I hope so. What makes me feel so bad aboutthe whole thing is that, personality quirks aside, she's actually nice and tries to be friendly. And you know me, I can't help but be friendly back, or try to. The fact that now I don't even want to be aroudn when she is makes me feels sort of ashamed, but I can't help it.

And yeah, Doofus Head Editor could use some deororant, too, and probably wouldn't want to hear aboutor do anything about the situation. That's why we're gonna talk to uber-cool, smart, responsible Managing Editor; she'lla ctually care and probably try to do something about it.

Wish us luck, and her. And yeah, lavender oil would be great- I've actually gathered several nice smelling lotions at my desk and there have been times after she passes that I'll smear a bit of some sweet-smelling lotion under my nostrils. It helps. A bit.